A Brief History of Gilead Lutheran Church

Our history began back in 1742, German families from the Palatinate settled in Haynerville along Route 7 in what is now Brunswick, New York--near Albany. A log structure was erected there in 1746 near Mickel Hill Road on land given by Patroon Stephen Van Rensselaer. In 1818 a brick church was constructed at the present site on land given by William Coonradt. After the Civil War in 1865, the present brick structure was completed and dedicated. A bell tower was added and a Moeller organ installed. In recent years renovations have been made, including an elevator for handicap accessibility.


Our heritage as a traditional Lutheran church has given us a long line of families that have worshiped here. Gilead ancestors who still have descendants among us today: Barnett (Bornt), Boehm, Bonesteel, Brust, Bulson, Button, Cipperly, Clum, Colehamer,  Conrad (Coonradt), Coons, Croe, Dater, Derrick, Eddy, File, Finkle, Garner, Ham, Hanaman, Hayner, Krueger, Lohnis, McChesney, Meyer, Miller, Owens, Philips, Reiffenberger, Roberts, Rysdorph, Schmidt, Shaver, Sheffer, Simmons, Smith, Snyder, Springer, VanDerHaden ( Vanderhyden), VanArman, Wagar and Wetherwax.


Join with us, become acquainted with Gilead now as well as our past, to grow in spiritual friendship in our future. Our shared faith in Jesus Christ helps build strong bonds both within individual families and throughout our extended church family. God’s merciful grace and forgiveness, revealed here each Sunday in Word and Sacrament, give us a strong base on which to spread the spirit of love for the whole family. You are welcome to join our spiritual journey as we continue to spread the Word to others of God’s love.

Come and worship in a liturgical tradition. Begin today for tomorrow.

© 2017 Gilead Lutheran
Connected Sound - Websites for the Barbershop Community